Tuesday 27 August 2013

STYLE BIO! XOLI NZAMA


"I discovered my calling for fashion 2 years ago, I've always loved clothes but I didn't wanna make a career out of it and only because I didn't know that I could.
I studied BSC plant pathology at the university of Pretoria. I didn't finish my degree because I was so unhappy, I only studied that because I didn't think I had other options.
2011 I found my calling, my calling in fashion. I started working for Zara. At the time I thought I would work there just for two months and leave and go back to varsity to start studying something else.
At the end of my 1st day at Zara I remember feeling like I was at the right place, I felt like I belonged there. Not only do I work with clothes but I also work with people. I love interacting with different people.
Iv been in love with fashion since then. There is nothing that gives me so much joy!
I want to open my own fashion business in the future. I want to travel the world and meet new people and learn how their culture is, the kind of food they eat, what fashion means to them, the music they listen to.
I'm inspired by the people around me, my friends. They work so hard, they wake up everyday and want to do better. Success is not an option.
Besides fashion I love live music, good food, great chats, art and God.
God is love."

                                       
                                           


I remember having been recently hired @ ZARA for about 2 weeks as a fashion advisor. Fashion had always been what I do and I was already pretty damn good at it. At this point I was still a fish out of water and I remember the only thing important to me at that time being proving myself. I wanted to prove also to myself that I can also work and succeed in commercial fashion as I had come from a high-end fashion background. Needless to say, all eyes were on me.
It wasn't long till I was put into training as fashion coordinator. The coordinators were respected members of the team. These were the people who knew everything. These guys understood the trend, the influence and the market. They were the Emelys and the Andeas of ZARA.

Having been moved up the ladder into the "official glam squad", I was excited because then it became a platform to influence the trends and the image and concepts. Having my 2 cents worth felt like my own contribution on an internationally recognized retail platform.

                                                                                                                      
It was at this point that I met Xolile Nzama. Upon my arrival @ Zara, Xoli had either been on leave or in Cape Town, I think. I had heard of her. In my head I had envisioned a tall bitch with a fabulous weave and a bad attitude. So, naturally, I had already tuned my own attitude into bitch mode for the day of Xoli's return to Sandton.

Seeing Xoli for the first time, really, I rolled my eyes. She was short, had a small voice and a permanent smile on her face. The kind that made me feel silly for having "rehearsed attitude". Xoli and I got introduced as she would be one of the people to officially train me for the "glamorous" new post.

Days went by and months went by and me, Xoli, Ndumiso & Lebo (also fashion coordinators) grew more closer and as thick as thieves. We'd be clad in those silly suits for the duration of our working hours but it was quite evident that each one of us became alive @ the end of our day as we'd change back into our clothes. Every single one of us had an element of their own. It was almost like people came alive when they got out of those dark clothes.

                                                      

Hers was a style that wasn't too different nor too common. She'd always have a balance. One day she'd come in in sequined flats, a skirt, big hair and bright matte lipstick. The next, she'd be in Chuck Tailors, cropped pants and a neon blazer. It was admirable that she'd always balance out everything in a way that was subtle yet eclectic. She firmly secured a place in my black book as a stylish woman who's always understood what's worked for her and made it look amazing. Everything was tailored, neatly pressed and surprisingly often new. Xoli shops!! Trust me, Xoli shops.
I still don't understand why she still refuses to wear dresses though.

 She has just recently established a fashion business of her own. Sourcing out turbans and other accessories from a supplier and making them available to all.
Not only cute, stylish as oh-so-sweet but smart and hustling too. I love it!!!

This is my Pumpsie & she's fierce.

                                      


For TURBANS and more FIERCE FASHIONS, contact Xoli on:

CELL:             0735117888
TWITTER:       @xolinzama_
Email :            retrofashion88@gmail.com

Don't say didn't hook u up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment