Tuesday 19 April 2011

I was standing on the corner of Fox and Kruis streets on Thursday the 14th of April waiting for a friend of
mine to arrive as we had been invited to the launch and opening of a boutique. In my hand was an old
copy of Elle Magazine with the amazing Alek Wek on the cover. So, as I am standing there, dragging on a
Dunhill Menthol cigarette (I had a terrible flu and I still craved my cigarettes) and taken on a trip by the
amazing story of this equally amazing woman, my attention is drawn to the silhouette of a ridiculously
tall, pitch-black, skinny gorgeous woman. The kind of silhouette that belongs on the runways of Milan.
I had never been exposed to anything this close to perfection. For a couple of minutes, this woman had
the whole of Joburg CBD eating right out of the palms of her hands. What seems so surreal is that she
does this with such ease, no effort at all. She is draped in a black Victorian pencil cut dress, black tights
and caramel 6” killer boots. Her accessories are very minimal. The only two things on her face that stand
out for me are her pitch-black complexion and her red lipstick. Fine woman indeed.


This made me realize that being black is not the curse it used to be. If anything, black has become
nothing but POWER. I am not gonna get deeper into the fundamentals of being black because I do not
want to turn this into a racial slay. I just want to explain what black means to me as far as fashion is
concerned. A couple of weeks ago I watched a fashion show where a talented young European designer
(white) used bald, skinny, black models for his runway. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.
It was a festival of color and high fashion. It was strictly red lipstick, metallic eye-shadows and a whole
lot of color on the cheeks. Opinions flew back and forth as to whether it was not racially prejudice to
use black women (some of them topless on the ramp) in that way. Racial Prejudice? Gimme a break!
That was not racially prejudice. That was FASHION. Can some people just get over their obsession with respect and just appreciate the beauty of an African canvass?
                                                                                           
The argument was that African women should never be displayed in that disrespectful manner. That
nudity was a foreign thing to us. That it was only a European norm. It was humbling to me that the show
received a standing ovation when just only the second model came out. Now how can you beat that?

Okay, so we get to this opening of MSC Boutique, (on 7th Avenue in Melville. You really have to check
this out. These girls are really on point) and after all the hugs, kisses and handshakes and the flowing
of business cards, I am immediately drawn to the framed front covers of Vogue Magazine on the wall.
Ironically, it is all the covers where Vogue had BLACK models on their cover. I have a small discussion
with a friend about the influence of BLACK in fashion. Interesting views came across and I realized that
the world is certainly moving in an interesting direction as far as fashion is concerned. Hence I had said
in last week’s issue that…and I quote; “THE WORLD WAITS WITH BAITED BREATH FOR OUR OFFICIAL ARRIVAL”.
                                                      

The night of April the 14th was like a revelation to me. It was like at every corner I turned to, I was
reminded of the issue of Black. I am also one who had (until recently) insecurities about my shade of
black. Do not get me wrong, I have never had issues with being black, but at times I would feel like I
was too dark. It is only now that I have come to realize that despite my shade of black, I have the most
amazing skin. No pimples, no blemishes and the oiliness is not as hectic as I made it out to be. Let’s just
say that my skin is…healthily oily. Yeah! HEALTHILY OILY!

Ever since that night, I have a new obsession. Blacks in the fashion industry. Both locally and
internationally. I have been going through every single fashion magazine I own and reading or simply
browsing the stories and images of the likes of Alek Wek, Tyra Banks, Iman, Naomi Campbell. I even did
the same with our very own Joelle Kayembe, Miriam Ngomani, Andiswa Manxiwa and Babalwa Mneno
because they also hold the power that Alek, Tyra, Iman and Naomi hold on the international front (well,
at least I hope so). Do they?
                                                                                                      

It has boiled down to a point that the black silhouette will appear at every major fashion show. Usually
getting the reviews because it will stand out like a sore thumb.

If black models and designers can conquer the covers of Elle and Vogue, then we can do just about
anything. We came into this industry as just only seamstresses and contractors and as a minority but
we sure are causing a stir and a revolution. I call it “THE EVOLUTION OF BLACK”. It is not about who is
better, black or white. It is just about all of us having the same amount of opportunities and possibilities
within this industry. I am not sure whether it is safe to say that we have already gotten that far but I still
say that we contribute amazingly to the colors of fashion. Hey, maybe black is the new fashion. I don’t
know.
           

What I do know is that black is fuelled by history, pain, passion and dedication. These are the elements
that ensure that we never go back to where we come from, that we overcome our fears and pains, that
we give our craft our all and remain passionate and dedicated to our craft. We are rooted in Africa and
we possess all the power within. We are the architects of a new era. A new revolution. THE EVOLUTION
OF BLACK….!

1 comment:

  1. Are you paying more than $5 / pack of cigarettes? I'm buying all my cigs from Duty Free Depot and I'm saving over 60% from cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete