Tuesday 20 January 2015

QUEEN AMONG KINGZ. A CELEBRATION OF ARTISTIC BRAVERY. BEVERLY GRACE MENDOZA JONES


I can't precisely remember what my first encounter of a Grace was. All I know is that I was both terrified and intrigued by her. She almost terrified me. At this point I had no idea of what the whole fashion thing was about. She was bold and unapologetic and i remember that she dressed like no other. I had no idea who she was or what she was about. I just know that every time i saw her, she captivated me. A bit of her somehow reminded me of Brenda Fassie. Though, for me, Brenda was a lot less intimidating. Though I didnt know who or what she was, I can safely say I loved Ms Jones. She was an enigma for me. Almost a dark story you shouldnt be reading but you just cant help it.

It was only later in my teens that I started being aware of who and what Ms Jones actually was. For a while i obsessed about her. Her music, her images and her overall boldness. I remember discovering "Slave to the rhythm". Lawd have mercy. It was the same as hearing Vogue (Madonna) for the first time. It was a different sound, a different edge and a brand new attitude for me. It was almost a sound of a rebellion. A slogan of self identity of some sort. I later discovered more songs like "Devil in my life" and my respect for her art and music escalated. Hers is not a spectacular voice but the music is definitely gravity defying for me. Her sense of style certainly deserves a full year ovation. She had definitely inspired, paved a way and contributed to a new era and belief in face. A trailblazer in her own right. A fashion rebel, a musical architect. Certainly a Queen among Kings.    


-Jamaican singer, songwriter and model.
-Born in Jamaica
-Raised by her grandparents
-Born Beverly Grace Mendoza Jones
-Born to Marjourie and Robert W. Jones
-Spouse- Atila Altounbay
-Children- Paulo Goude

No comments:

Post a Comment