Monday 5 January 2015

GAVIN RAJAH


I first heard the words Gavin Rajah when Lebo Mathosa wore that beaded gold number when she snatched weaves at the SAMA awards some years ago. I'm not sure if I was already aware of the fact that I wanted to become a designer or not at this point. All i know is that I was in awe of how someone could have done that. A whole dress in beads. I was curious of how the dress was bound together. Of whether it was not risky moving or sitting in it. For me, that was artistic magic. A great power and skill. A third power of some sort. Gavin Rajah became my point of fashion curiosity (and often reference) for a long time after that. Hell, I probably made it through fashion school thanks to my Rajah references.
Fcuk that scandal with the dress that was copied and pasted from an Asian designer. Every designer does that. Its just that in this case, Mr Rajah did more than just reference. Even still, he still remains one of the greatest fashion Kings of our time. That incident is not enough to discredit him in my eyes. He's still a powerhouse to be reckoned with. Totally still one of the ultimate couture Kings of South African Fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment